With Debbie Chilton

Author and Poet

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Please Explain!


Carbon Tax More Questions Than Answers

How will a carbon tax change our lives,
How will the tax curve our behaviour,
Will we stop to think before turning on a light,
Or think before we take the car instead of walk.

Will the only change we see is increased prices,
Paying more for petrol, power and food,
This is meant to be a tax on companies,
Not on you and me.

In reality are we just facing another GST,
A tax passed on to us.
I can’t help ask,
How will it actually change companies’ behaviour?

I can’t help but ask how the tax will profit the environment,
Will mining of fossil fuels stop,
Will clean fuels be found,
Will companies pay to explore green alternatives.

To me the carbon tax seems to convenient,
The government shifting its responsibility,
Trusting companies to change there behaviour,
Instead of asking you and me to pay their tax.

It is not our tax to pay.
It is an incentive for companies to change,
What they produce and how they produce it,
But all I hear is talk of increased cost of living.

If you ask me the message of the reduction in omissions,
Has been lost,
I can’t help sit here and wonder is the Carbon Tax,
The answer to greenhouse omissions.

Now don’t get me wrong I’m all for a Carbon Tax,
If the tax achieves its intended purpose.

Debbie Chilton (c) Copyright 2011
All Rights Reserved
    

No comments:

Post a Comment